Saturday, April 17, 2010

For The Poor and Stylish: Unbranded Denim

Exclusive to Urban Outfitters and made by the same folks who produce Naked & Famous denim, Unbranded are for those looking to get their ass into a pair of raw selvedge without breaking the bank.  All three styles, ranging from a hipster-ish skinny to a more 514-ish slim straight, are under 80 bones and contain no branding whatsoever, hence the name.  They are an extremely basic, no frills jean featuring 14.5 oz of Japanese denim, copper-top hardware and a blank leather patch.  The idea behind this collection is pretty cool - entry level selvedge that is about the denim, itself, and nothing more.  I mean, even the back leather patch and pockets are completely untouched.  If a pair of APC's seem a little pricey and you can't get your hands on the selvedge 514's from Levi's (currently out of stock again on their website) Unbranded seems like a pretty good move.  Garments should never be exclusive anyhow, especially when it's a staple for every guy's wardrobe.  I really appreciate what the folks at Naked & Famous are doing for the fiscally challenged and chalk this up to another equally shrewd and genius move by Urban Outfitters.  Even with consumer tendencies trending towards a return to "quality", completely undercutting the entire market is a clever economical move.  Damn the hipsters and their one semester at a liberal arts college!


-L.A.S

16 comments:

  1. "Garments should never be exclusive anyhow, especially when it's a staple for every guy's wardrobe."

    Bravo. That's the attitude that makes SartInc stand out in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J- Thanks man, that means a lot. I do it for the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it bro. I'm such an unbranded fanatic when it comes to denim (hence my like for Helmut Lang and APC) that I would probably get rid of the leather patch, but other than that it looks pretty spectacular. My APC NSs from October are actually pretty well worn in (uh, haven't washed them yet either...) so looking for a new pair soon. This might fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan- What's up man! Hope you are well...shoot me an email when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Haha I definitely will. 7 more weeks broseph until the exam. Can't wait to be done with it. And with that I'm back to go study haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great - thanks so much for spreading the word on these. Going to pick up a pair very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MTL in the house! I love to support a Canuck brand that knows what it's doing-now I might not have to make the 3 hour trip to get a taste

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, I've been wearing the straighter leg ones for the last three months; they're really great! And the price can not be beat anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look nice. I've been interested in N&F denim since they came out, but can't afford 'em. What can I say, my kid likes to eat, every day no less!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My APC NS are 2.5 years old, washed 4 times and looking awesome...but they need a third patching job by Denim Doctors in LA. Maybe it's time to switch to Unbranded. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you know which style would be most similar to the Nom de Guerre Narrow Fit?

    ReplyDelete
  12. any idea on the thigh measurement on these? these look great but i usually wear relaxed or loose jeans due to big thighs, and i've been looking to get some selvage for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw these last time I was at UO and was pretty impressed. The only thing that kept me from picking up a pair was that they didn't have my size and I wasn't completely sold on the hardware. It did make me glad to see someone doing an "entry level" raw selvedge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The fit of all three were off. Patch would be better left off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natural Selection jeans were launched as an effort to make a revolutionary improvement on the current state of global denim affairs. Natural Selections jeans offer many fresh details that are not seen in other designer denims. The finer details on the clothing are completely authentic and no style or design is artificially rushed or created. Some Natural Selections jeans have a washed out design, which is made to look as if the jeans have been worn and washed for many times. Www.Denimio.Com

    ReplyDelete