Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Debate: Jack Goes Sailing

The classic white sneaker has gone through quite a few facelifts in its storied existence and the Jack Purcell is no stranger to this.  Its latest reincarnation comes in the form of a boatshoe now available from Converse for $70.  The debate aspect of all this obviously comes from the fact that I am on the fence about these.  Part of me thinks the JP should not be messed with, but at the same time I think this could also be a pretty sweet alternative to, say, a pair of Sperry Bahamas or Seamates (a whole different debate in itself).  I have no idea how much boating Jack actually did in his lifetime so can't say for sure how he would feel about the most recent addition to his footwear canon.  Should Jack go sailing or keep his feet dry?


-L.A.S

8 comments:

  1. Works well here: http://www.rcyc.ca/SPORTS/Racquets/Badminton.aspx

    Mandatory if actually playing badminton ON a yacht. Otherwise, pretty ugly shoes IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have them in navy, and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why they didn't just release it without his name on it. It seems a weird signature shoe. Adidas wouldn't take a Jabbar and turn it into a golf shoe, or a Lendl and make it a chukka for instance, so why would Converse think it's a good idea?

    I don't mind the actual shoes though, they don't strike me as better or worse than anything else out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are just trying to capitalize on the vulcanized boat shoe craze I'm sure. I like them and I need a new of white canvas deck shoes. My last ones caught the worst part of too much drinking for my sister's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who cares how much Jack sailed in his lifetime if he wore boat shoes like these. Leave these shoes for the douche baggers that think they know to dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No good. If you wana wear Jack on a boat, wear the orginal Jack P, it has the siping bottom, so will do the same thing as a true boat shoe.

    ReplyDelete