Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tomato Soup

So it's more or less spring which means gingham, madras, seersucker and all the crazy patterns that come with them, but right now I am really feeling for solid red, tomato even.  It's not that red is my favorite color or anything like that (I mean, what grown man really has a favorite color or a style blog for that matter?), I just find myself strangely drawn to its boldness (some of those same grown men would call this "pop").  The two best instances of this I have seen come from the usual suspects - Steven Alan and Sid Mashburn.  Both of these guys make a killer shirt and while I haven't had the pleasure of owning a Mashburn original yet (that will be changing soon) I will vouch for Steven Alan's reverse seamers until I am blue in the face.  These shirts represent the same bold aesthetic equally, but are different in some respects.  Steven's shirt is a bold shade of red with his patented reverse seam, while Sid's is listed as a tomato red and comes with a great flap pocket.  As expected both are as awesome as they are "expensive", but when you think about it you only really need one shirt like this for your wardrobe so it's kinda like an investment - hey, whatever helps you sleep at night, right?  Try the shirt du jour.

-L.A.S

8 comments:

  1. I've got a certain RRL red chambray that I'm looking to unload if you're interested...

    ReplyDelete
  2. With these and that UO Quoddy post, you're set to paint the town red... (so corny!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the Mashburn shirt. Fewer OTR shirts look or fit better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rare time I was able to try on an Alan RS shirt, the sales lady told me I could get it tailored as per usual, despite the uniqueness of the stitching. They didn't have a colour I liked so I didn't pull the trigger, but for future reference is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  5. TO- Honestly, I can't imagine a tailor NOT messing this shit up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Enzo AGC, I am interested in your RRL Red Chambray, but can't seem to find your contact information on your blog. Please email me at:

    thomasec84 at gmail.com

    if you're still interested in selling it.

    Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enzo - Let me know abt the rrl red chambray. Will get them off your hands. Is it L or XL ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LAS...jcrew makes a sunfaded red shirt for $59

    http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBrowse/Men_Shop_By_Category/shirts/lightweightwashedshirts/PRDOVR~11390/11390.jsp

    ReplyDelete