Friday, April 2, 2010

Tattered

The blogosphere, myself included, hits us over the head with so many of the same items so frequently that often it takes a shot in the arm to remind us how great something is regardless of whether or not it gets blog play.  Yesterday while geeking out over Sid Mashburn shirts I re-realized just how much I like shirts that aren't chambray or oxford cloth.  Broadcloth, in particular, is such a fantastic shirting option this time of year and especially in tattersall.

Lots of guys don't like to wear plaid patterns in warm weather because of its anointment as the official mascot of F/W and it's sudden absurd ubiquity.  Tattersall represents a wonderful option if you find yourself buying into this school of thought or if you're just looking to switch things up.  Epaulet and Inventory (their shirt is actually a heavier weight oxford cloth), respectively, have dropped exclusive tattersall collaborations with Gitman Brothers Vintage in the past week or so and L.L. Bean Signature features a handsome option complete with a flap pocket as well (it's actually my favorite non footwear item in the debut collection).  And of course you can't forget Ralph who has been doing this kind of stuff since Red Wings were nothing more than hockey players to us.   I can't say for sure if tattersall is "having a moment", but I could care less.  In fact, I'd almost rather keep this for myself though that is highly unlikely.  Tattersall, more like tatter-sold.


-L.A.S

15 comments:

  1. I've replaced most of my flannel with tattersalls. Much easier to dress up/down. That Gitman (picture #1) is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 tattersall shirts with patterns of different scale. Always classic. You gotta wear it right though, otherwise you run the risk of looking like a stuffy professor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my experience, professors who wear tattersall are remarkably unstuffy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plaid is for any time of year, regardless of the season. Lands End has a few nice shirts in tattersall as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the llbean signature joint looks like, but their fit is garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, have you tried some of the new Signature stuff or just going based on LL Bean's fit generally? I placed an order last week and am really hoping the shirts aren't as billowy as their regular offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave- LL Bean Sig is def. not as billowy as reg LL Bean and have heard good reviews of the shirts. Not sure what Anon @12:13 is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LAS is trippin. I bought the madras shirt in "night" and it's about 1.5x bigger than a j crew secret wash shirt (which isn't very slim to begin with). the shirts are much longer too, and look awkward if not tucked in.

    i'm hoping the regular bd's are better b/c i ordered the tattersall too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon @3:43- That may be the case, but all intel coming my way is that the shirts are good, the pants are too full and the outerwear needs to be sized down considerably.

    Maybe size down your shirts, but then again if you plan on wearing neckwear that may not be the best move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought the short sleeve LL Bean Signature madras shirt--I have my eye on their tattersall shirt. The fit is pretty good; not too billowy, perfect length for going untucked (I am 6'2"--it may be long on some people), perfect sleeve length and the fabric has a great drape and weight. I think it will be my go-to shirt for summer. I have a 40 chest and 16" neck and went with a medium. I almost never buy a large in any brand except Band of Outsiders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got introduced to tattersall through a Engineered Garments piece I picked up a couple seasons ago. The pattern is really great and versatile and can be rock'd all year. You do have to be careful in the fabric and color though or run this risk of looking like someones dad unless you are someones dad like myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Epaulet and Inventory (their shirt is actually a heavier weight oxford cloth), respectively, have dropped exclusive tattersall collaborations"

    -Some of us still use "dropped" to mean "gotten rid of." Just saying. In the spirit of "timelessness" and all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon @11:08- I'm just doing my thing man...I hope that's okay with you and your timelessness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, "timelessness" w/r/t the English language. That's quality material. Get off my lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tattersall is a real country gent type shirting option in the UK, tending to come in autumnal colour schemes like cream with cream/orange/green browns. A tweedy look and quite different from plaid. Barbour are also doing some nice ones this season, a little spoilt by branding on the outside however.

    ReplyDelete