Thursday, April 22, 2010

Lincs S/S 2010

Based on his pedigree alone it often surprises me how little the blogs talk about David Chu.  The Taiwanese-American designer founded Nautica back in 1983, which he sold for a cool $1 billion in 2003, and currently keeps himself busy with his sportswear line Lincs.  Lincs, in its own words, is "a modern expression of style inspired by a life in and out of the country club…of travel, of sport, of classic chic."  I can't say I really disagree with this statement as the clothes really do aim to reinterpret not only the classic aesthetics of golf, the sport from which the brand draws its name, but that lifestyle overall. 

When it's good Lincs offers well-tailored classics and when it's bad it gets a tad too "white bread" for my tastes - whole lotta polos.  I've often believed Lincs struggles with defining its age demographic.  It seems to be straddling an age divide and is only hurting its own identity in the process.  Obviously all of this is up to David, but If I was him I would make a serious distinction.  Are we going after the 20-30's guy who wants some affordable, classic sportswear or are we going after a more conservation 30-40's guy who might not have the kind of money to drop on Purple Label?  All that aside, there are some fine pieces in the Lincs S/S 2010 collection, particularly the casual cotton blazers, which would look real good hanging out with your madras.  If you want to pick up some Lincs find a retail location by your or just pop into your local Dillard's or Nordstrom as they are currently the two biggest stockists.


-L.A.S

7 comments:

  1. I've got 3 shirts and two pair of the slacks. Nice duds... I think his work will get more visible and ultimately sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little to IZOD for my tastes but great pics though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree 100%. All the technical elements are on point for a mass brand--decent enough materials and good tailoring--but what's lacking is a distinctive point of view.

    Conversely, these images do look very Dillards (one of Lincs' main retailers) so it's very possible they're hitting their intended aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally didn't know the background on Nautica. The clothes are nice but more importantly, I'd like to be sitting on the laps of the guys in the chairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. got an orange gingham dress shirt for half off at dillards. they had a table of half off stuff including purple gingham and red gingham.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this brand so much I bought 5 button downs from Dillards. Figured I would take advantage of the 50% off prices now because Lincs will become a known brand. I wore my shirts around my brothers who typically wear Vineyard Vines and Polo and they loved them. Not only are they tailored perfectly, so that they can either be worn tucked in or out, but the colors are great. I have been waiting for a designer to make clothes with noticeable colored inseams. It's hard to distinguish these types of clothes besides the brand label (horse, whale, gator). But Lincs manages to seperate itself with fun patterns and attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete