Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pop and Lock

I was pretty pumped when Gap put out their chambray popover a little while back so it should come as no surprise that I am all over their new 70% cotton, 30% linen numbers.  Once again we have a case of Gap picking up on what's "popular" and offering a take for the common man.  If you spend any time checking out all the threads on the Internets you will agree with me that at $44.50 Gap's joint is the cheapest of the cheap.  I can totally get down with these plaids and even though I definitely wish these were oxford cloth, beggars can't be choosers.  I'd also get rid of the button through sleeve tabs, but anyway...

I think the thing to keep in mind here is that at some point popovers/pullovers/turnovers/poptarts/etc. will not be "cool" again and the Gap will surely take them out of production.  While Gap's product selection, like that of any good mass retailer, is more fickle than you ex girlfriend I hope that you, the consumer, are not.  Popovers are pretty damn classic and I prefer them to polo shirts when it comes to this time of year.  So, I guess that leads me to two points: 1. Just because these won't be for sale by summer does not mean they won't be cool and 2. Buy them now if you're feeling them because once something like this is gone at the Gap it's usually gone for good (thought I probably would have said the same thing about their chambray's a year and a half ago so I guess I don't know shit - what else is new).



-L.A.S

19 comments:

  1. I really like these patterns, I just don't think I can ever get down with popovers. These+ the price tag make it very tempting though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid question: how do you wear these things? Untucked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave- It's really up to you, but I would go untucked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get 20% off the blue plaid one using code: GAPNEW20 (I think it expires today)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really digging those patterns. Reminds me of something from American Eagle in the early 2000s (I speak from first-hand experience, unfortunately).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of that button/dongle on the upper sleeve. Is there a name for that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yayo- Gap calls them "button through sleeve tabs" and, yeah, they are a lame detail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trip: I remember those - I believe I had one as well, but remember them as short sleeve. Not sure which I like better now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way Gap stuff -looks- but are their clothes still cut really big and boxy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious about the fit. GAP's latest chambray shirts fit a whole size bigger than they should.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both Anon's- I really like Gap's fit for the price. It fits a lot better than J. Crew in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally a long sleeve popover! Is it weird that I thought they were called half-placket shirts for the longest time? Anyways, I think I may cop that middle one and just remove the sleeve buttons. Scissors for the win son.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you think these will be available in-store? This online exclusive stuff is mad lame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anon- I can't imagine they wouldn't. Call you local Gap and ask.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just at a local GAP today and was looking for these to try on. I couldn't find them anywhere. I will try again next week and hopefully be able to see one in person. Are there any other Co.'s whos pullovers are recommended?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keaton- They may be online exclusives so I would call ahead of time to make sure you aren't waisting any gas heading over.

    For this price range I don't know of any other good options, but if you want to spend upwards of 3x's as much Hamilton 1883 makes an awesome one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really hate how I am so attracted to certain colors and have to fight the urge to buy more of the same.

    I have a light polo from the gap in the green of the first one and the relaxed feel this pullover has entices me greatly. the blue/gold/black feels pretty aggressive and the last one is just blah. But agreed, they are pretty dopeshow for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi L.A.S. I like these shirts and will go to The GAP to try one on.
    Do you think it will be open?
    Would you suggest I pay cash or card?
    It is worth me trying it on with jeans or shorts?
    I could do both.
    Do you think that will take long?
    How many buttons shall I leave undone?
    Are the button holes tight?
    Will a medium fit a 16" neck? or will that be too short in the sleeve?
    Will my mother like them?
    Will my girlfriend?
    My Auntie? Boss? Girl on the 19?
    Could these questions eventually implode?
    Where shall I go to buy a brain?
    Are they still called brains?
    I need a lie down.
    Should I use the floor or the sofa?
    ETC.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mr. Brown- You're fucking hilarious dude.

    ReplyDelete