Monday, April 5, 2010

Debate: The Short Sleeve Sweatshirt

For as often as the short sleeve sweatshirt shows up in countless McQueen style montages bloggers have been relatively gun shy on the issue.  I, myself, think it is a cool idea in theory, but acknowledge that it is difficult to pull off - just ask Bill "The Human Boner" Belichick (granted I'm not talking about the hooded variety since we all know it can't hold a candle to the classic crew neck).  I can see the arguments both for and against.  On one hand you have the sloppy and "trying too hard" school of thought you often get when bringing up sweats in the first place and on the other side the classic cool camp who reps for this kind of gear consistently.   The practicality of this sartorial maneuver seems linked to chillier summer nights just like any warm weather top layer - you know, the whole "keep your core warm, stay warm" thing.  To get this look today you're more than likely going to have to cut the sleeves off of a standard crew neck unless you're fond of Rugby's branding (wait, you're not in "Skull and Snakes" club bro?) as they are the only option I found while doing the half-assed research that goes into every post (update: resident EG scholar Mister Crew has pointed me towards some older versions from Daiki).  What do you guys think? Leave it to Steve or let 'em breath?


-L.A.S

18 comments:

  1. the BIG difference is that the McQueen version is a "cut off" style popular during the 60's vs. the modern inspired by-contrived updates which have no cool factor at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left Field NYC had a version last year for sale at Blue in Green. Thought about picking it up but refrained, probably for all those hard-to-put-a-finger-on-it reasons you explained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon- One could argue that cutting off the sleeves to you sweat shirt is just as contrived. Does the cut-off style you mention work today? You tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being an older guy who attended college in the '60's, it was not unusual to cut off the sleeves of sweats. But they had to be left unhemmed, or else why bother. Of course, it was a school in the north, so they were more like heavy short sleeve shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the McQueen cut off version much better- main reason being it has loose sleeves that may be imperfectly cut if you're doing the cutting yourself. I can only imagine that the sleeves of the ones above will be tight on a built guy and while that's fine for some shirts, it's not fine for a short sleeve sweatshirt. The light blue one is something I'd actually buy for myself because it looks fitted and I think it would look good with denim cutoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sun's out guns out, man. I'm for it.

    I have the Left Field version. I'll tell you why I like it: the ribbing at the waist pulls it in and makes it look (surprisingly) more finished than a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought one last Fall from Alternative Apparel called the "Gym Rat". I love it, but the style has been discontinued so a lot of guys must be on the fence about it.

    I like the rib-finishing at the hem and sleeve openings and the lack of branding. If I wanted a print on there I'd mutilate some vintage college fleece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Club Monaco has one in their newest spring collection and I was a big fan of the colour of it but I can't see anyone pulling this off other than Mr. McQueen but I wouldn't mind someone trying to prove me wrong either. All in all, it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. The best way to wear a sweatshirt really, or with the sleeves pushed up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cut the sleeves longer than you really want.
    Put it on.
    Look at yourself in the mirror.
    Shorten to taste.

    Otherwise, the angle of the cut and the length of the sleeve may be all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, it's not a look that I think works. There's a big difference between a legend like McQueen wearing a cut off and your average Joe wearing a short sleeve version.

    Personally I just roll my sleeves up if I'm a bit warm and then back down again if I'm cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like it. It calls to mind corduroy shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It only works if you're bustin wheelies on a plank surrounded by barbed wire or whatever he's doing in the second picture, something badass I'm sure. Otherwise it's a no go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the haters should go check out take ivy, this model was pulled from its pages...

    ReplyDelete
  15. My father - who went to military school and college in the early-mid 60s had several of the short sleeve sweatshirts (NOT cutoffs)....I couple were related to his division in military school, others his frat. But my sister and I wore them to death thru high school. they are/were great IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a fan of this look, but your comment regarding the "Skull and Snakes" club was pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you have to think too long or too hard you won't pull it off.

    ReplyDelete