Saturday, March 13, 2010

Debate: Nautical Prints

If you're a fan of nautical steeze, much like myself, you've been one happy camper recently.  From entire collections to superb individual pieces, S/S 2010 is rife with maritime inspiration.  Both Woolrich Woolen Mills and Brooks Brothers Black Fleece have taken this theme to the next level offering printed gear that is the bastard of nautical and "go to hell" sensibilities.  Like everything else is this world of garmenture not all things are created equal and both of these brands are tapping into a very niche idea.  While I could never imagine myself wearing an entire nautical printed suit or outfit I can easily see how a single piece could really work well on its own.  In keeping with the democratic nature of Sart Inc I have pitted two of my favorites against each other.  What do you guys think?  Does WWM's unique coloring rule over BF's cut and Waspy-ness?  Are both of these just straight up nonsense?  How much does it cost to gas up your yacht? Mint juleps or mojitos?

Woolrich Woolen Mills


vs.

Brooks Brothers Black Fleece


-L.A.S

8 comments:

  1. ...like you said, each piece by itself can be great, just not together. Both pieces look equally "arrogant" playing into the same "go to hell" niche. For the sake of choosing ill go with the WWM simply because its darker and more subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't wear any of these. I don't sail so why should I kid myself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only like the shorts, and they barely get a pass from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really can't get on board with these patterns — I find them pretty ugly and obnoxious. And there are probably about a dozen people in the whole world who could pull them off without (1) being a poser or (2) looking like a huge toolbag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a joke right?....sometimes fashion forward comes off....this is not one of those occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rugby did a great one two summers ago. That brooks one looks like bad clip art. Like most things Thom, its in terrible taste

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bottom one looks like Brooks Brothers x Port Authority LA.

    Nautical wear is pastel colored suits with pushed up sleeves over complimenting t-shirts and feathered hair, preferably worn while busting Columbian drug lords or cavorting with your bandmates with a New Wave soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about a navy blazer with brass buttons, white duck pants, a bright pink tennis shirt and boat shoes, no socks.

    This stuff here is both silly and gross.

    ReplyDelete