Monday, March 22, 2010

Attn: Thom Browne For Supreme

In what may seem like the most unlikely collaboration on paper Thom Browne has gotten together with Supreme to release three oxford shirts to be sold online and in US stores this Thursday.  The shirts look damn good, but the most intriguing aspect of all this is the seemingly bizarre pairing.  The more I've thought about this though, the more it makes total sense - what we have here is a marriage of two New York based institutions.  On one hand we have arguably the most innovative designer in all of menswear who has helped define menswear worldwide with his shrunken proportions and on the other arguably the most storied streetwear brand in the entire world - both are trailblazers, innovators and purveyors of all things NYC cool.  I respect these cats to the fullest and while I may not always agree with what they put out, I can totally dig the significance of the collaboration.  I deeply appreciate the meeting of minds behind this project and while I know these shirts are going to be a pretty penny I'm feeling quite compelled to cop the red joint.  Now as romanticized as this may sound I still wonder how much the Japanese financiers behind Thom Browne played a part in this...




[Picture courtesy of Freshness Mag.]

-L.A.S

[Editor's Note: Hmmm...something's fishy.]

11 comments:

  1. thom actually likes supreme, but i would be lying if i said he set it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah this is a good look. it's great to see a collab that makes since, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. supreme this spring is some of the best streetwear to date. it really really is the jam

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look nice. I like them as much as some of the Gitman shirts I've seen.

    Supreme will always have a spot in my heart. I want that camo parka pretty badly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I half to admit in the beginning I was TB hater but now I'm fan of Thom. I prefer his basics and have aquired a few pieces over the last year. The stuff is really top quality even the Black Fleece stuff. I think it shows balls for the brand to colab with a streetwear brand like supreme or the other way around even. I'd like to see Tom Ford step up to the plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very surprising collab. Very tastefully done and I'm a fan. As always, thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a fan of the label on the bottom right of the shirt. It's pretty tasteless to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back in the day, it would have been conceivable to put a label on the bottom left of the shirt, as it would have been tucked in. However, in this day and age, the Thom/Supreme, wanted a branding that would appear to be unintentional...(you fill in the blank). A mildly smart consumer would realize this and take that into consideration before purchasing. Someone who loves all of Supreme's stuff? They would jump without thinking. Now I'm not saying all of Supreme's stuff is over branded or tastleless. Actually, most of their stuff is killer. Even Glenn O'Brien wears their stuff, and he's certainly not a streetwear fiend. This shirt? Probably not, 'cause I'm a cheap oxford type of guy... but it is a nice concept and interesting collab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm by no means an authority, but none of those colors look like anything I've ever seen from TB. Even the blue looks darker than his. Maybe they're not a collaboration, but I don't know if you can buy something wholesale and rebrand it that wasn't, you know, actually produced. But what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually the label on the left is an early TB thing - he used to sign all of his shirts - now the lower left label is still there - well atleast on the shirts I have..but no longer signed, the mfg produces them with just his name.

    ReplyDelete