Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The $25 Chambray

Tipped off by GQ, I headed over to Target's website to investigate arguably the cheapest chambray shirt of all time.  Converse One Star's chambray shirt does in fact exist (in blue and grey) and it costs roughly less that 26 cups of noodles.  That's not bad considering it has a tab collar and asymmetrical breast pockets, which are hallmarks of chambrays about 8 times as expensive.  Big ups to Converse and Target for banding together and hooking up all the stylish, poor kids like myself.  I think I'm going to buy 50, rip the labels off, sew on some J. Crew ones and sell 'em out of the trunk of my station wagon for 75 bones.  Kidding, kinda...

-L.A.S

9 comments:

  1. I have a J Crew Chambray that looks exactly like the Gap's version. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing is that the fit is probably better than J.Crew's. I dropped $98 on the crew version... it fits like Rambo's burlap sack and the collar is just trying too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I tried on Gap's version this weekend and really liked it, then balked at the $50 price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great find, thanks for sharing it via GQ. I'll check it out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't got my head round the return of chambray shirts, but at that price it might be time to get involved. Good of Converse to keep the price tag sensible.

    www.openzedoor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta disagree about the J Crew cham. From what I've seen so far, it's got the best shade of grey and the fit is good. could be a slightly better I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very funny post and not a bad shirt either. Unfortunatley I've become sort of a chambray snob since I got my hands on a decent one (EG) but it's always good to have options. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the red J.Crew joint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Picked one up this weekend 17.95, best 20 I've spent in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stumbled onto one one this past weekend on the clearance rack at Target for an amazing $11. Lucked out that there was one in a medium and not XXL, but still, keep an eye out if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete