Wednesday, March 17, 2010

White On Wrist

When Nick first began preaching to me about the white Nato strap I was pretty hesitant to say the least.  I couldn't fathom how if you were going to upgrade your watch strap you would want to go with something so basic - so "white bread" for lack of a better term.  If I remember correctly he told me that he had seen an absolute beat to shit vintage one at some RRL store back in the day and ever since had been on a quest to nab one.  The more I thought about it the more a white Nato strap made perfect sense.  In essence it was just like your favorite pair of white canvas sneaks.  You buy them pristine and they look great, but it's only until they have been through the ringer that they really become something special - it's the stories, the memories, the character, blah, blah, blah.  I had finally seen the light and realized just how awesome the white strap could be, but I had no idea where to buy one.  I looked all over the place, but could never actually find any for sale.  That was until yesterday.

Last week Rob Sawyer, who curates a fantastic blog, posted on the very same subject and linked up to an eBay seller peddling various colored Nato's. Lo and behold, there it was - the infamous white strap for $5.99 in whatever width your timepiece called for (unless you wear an 18mm, sorry).  Long story short: I found my new strap for spring.  What time is it? Time to get dirty.

-L.A.S

3 comments:

  1. Great post and find. I'll take a red, blue, green and of course white please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will OldSchool only wear white or navy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a daily reader of Sartorially Inclined and I appreciate the kind words above. As for the white strap, it's not perfect. The yellow glue that's used on the strap causes discoloration around the buckle area–not cool. But on a lighter note, I have received quite a few compliments on the strap.

    ReplyDelete