Saturday, March 13, 2010

Attn: Steven Alan Baracuta Jacket

[Pictured: Steven Alan Baracuta Jacket available for $348.00]

With all the talk of light weight spring jackets going on I haven't really talked about the Baracuta jacket since everyone is pretty familiar with it at this point.  Well, Steven Alan has just released his take on the iconic piece of outerwear made famous by the likes of James Dean and Steve McQueen.  The red colorway is a favorite of mine and a version of it, while not exactly a Baracuta, can be seen in Rebel Without A Cause (read all about that here).  Most Baracuta's are pretty pricey, but the upside is that it is a 3 season jacket and can be worn practically year round depending on the weather in your neck of the woods.  Mr. Alan's version is pretty faithful to the original, which you can still buy today, and features his own shirting as a liner, contrast buttons and a zipper pocket over the left breast.  It's another reworked classic in the Steven Alan garmentography (copyright that term) and a winner as far as I am concerned.  Excuse me while I pour myself a glass of milk.


-L.A.S

7 comments:

  1. LAS,

    Do you find it odd that Mr. Allen refers to this piece as his "Baracuta-style" jacket. I've never known him to take another brand name into his lexicon. Other designers doing their take on this classic have always referred to their offerings as "harringtons" which I can assume is the cut/style of the Baracuta original.

    Just something that stuck out to me. Great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben- This stuck out to me too, but I see it as more of a transparency thing. So many brands bite the original and never think twice where as Mr. Alan is acknowledging the inspiration right out of the gate. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I found it honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best part about this jacket are the huge #7 Ideal zippers. Nice and chunky, sets this one apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the photos of Mr. Dean. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, i just think some of the uninitiated might think Baracuta is the style instead of the brandname... who knows, this is just sartorial nitpicking on my part

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is not at all what he's wearing in rebel... like james dean would ever wear that prissy-ass jacket with the two little buttons thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, the red jacket worn by Dean in "Rebel without a Cause" is a McGregor Anti-Freeze, not to be confused by the Drizzler.

    ReplyDelete