Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Respectable Spectator

If there is one "classic" shoe that I struggle to endorse it's the spectator.  I normally have no problem with two-tone gear (I can dig on saddles for real), but for whatever reason the shoes just never sat right with me.  When I saw these new Peal & Co. for Brooks Brothers spectator penny loafers it finally hit me - most spectators have way too much white and way too many panels that break up the natural ebb and flow of the shoe.  These new Brooks kicks for spring rebuke that very notion and stick with a relatively small amount of two-toning limited to the upper vamp and tongue.  From where I'm standing cool, uppity shoes have never looked better.  They're currently on sale for a hefty $598 so you might want to think about switching out those pennies for a fat stack of hundies.


-L.A.S

7 comments:

  1. I loved the ones by Chloe Sevigny x Bass for Opening Ceremony last Fall. They looked like those, but in black. Eventually were on sale for about $100, too.

    http://www.openingceremony.us/userfiles/image/news/sept09/1-Penny_BW.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew- Good call, I forgot about that callbo. I even referenced the ranger mocs she did in an old post.

    Out of principle I will never buy anything from either OC or Chloe Sevigny, but that's just me. And the BB joints come in black too, I just showed the brown ones because I thought they looked better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because my penny stash wasn't what I'd hoped, I turned to eBay for the assist. I didn't find anything similar to the shoe above in my size but I did find these loafers from Ralph in a size 12 that I think look similar. Now go buy yourself a 'tini with those extra pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about spectators, sort of. While I have a standard pair (Peal & Co. canvas/leather combo) and have worn them half a dozen times or so, they're a bit too flash, IMO, and as a result I am on the lookout for a pair of speccie loafers. However, the shoes in your photo don't look right; something about them looks cheap. I want to get a pair like the Duke of Windsor used to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the visual feast provided by McQueen, Yount, Rugy, and Custom Shop, we have this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dutch Uncle- There's like 500+ post around these parts for you to get your fix...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a few spectators this past summer at weddings (brown/white, black/white, brown/tan canvas) but none like this. I'd definitly wear those all the time.

    ReplyDelete