Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Bad: Alden For Steven Alan White Bucks

I doubt this is going to become a reoccurring feature, but this is where I plan on righting some previous sartorial wrongs.  I'll be honest, a good amount of the stuff featured on Sart Inc doesn't get the hands on treatment from yours truly and I can see how that has the potential to create a disconnect here or there.  Cut me some slack, I live in Charlotte and we've got virtually nothing.

While in NYC a little while back I finally saw these Alden bucks at the Steven Alan showroom.  I had previously sung their praises and even went as far as to call them "some of the best looking shoes currently on the market." Whoops.  A friend put it best, "these look like nurse's shoes" and that's more or less the problem.  Also, the leather doesn't deliver in person and, while apparently calfskin, just feels and looks cheap.  So, yeah, I think you should pass on these badboys regardless of Steven's reputation and his other stellar Alden makeups - unless, of course, you're starting your residency this spring.  My bad.


-L.A.S

14 comments:

  1. If this becomes a regular feature, you're going to end up re-covering 90% of the shit on this blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon- For a hater you are quite quick on the draw my friend. Impressive.

    Thanks for following me on Twitter??

    ReplyDelete
  3. rofl @ hater who was peeking over your shoulder as you posted this.

    We forgive you homie

    ReplyDelete
  4. it takes a brave man to admit your own mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He must be hanging on for that last 10% he likes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasnt going to pick those puppies up, but I really appreciate the follow up and honesty. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with anon to an extent. Some things covered here are timeless and in good taste, but there are some real no-no's as well.

    For instance, I don't care if God himself (let alone McNairy) hand stitched you a pair of well fitting camo pants... just leave them to the men and women in the armed forces. I expect a 'my bad' on these in the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nurse John. It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

    @ Anon: You can hold a Gameboy in cargo camo pants. With good fitting camo pants you get the best of both worlds. Gameboy pocket and a good fitting pant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've all made mistakes. I partnered with Russell Street.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure, but you could hold a gameboy in any cargo pant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I got olive or khaki colored cargo pants I would just get chinos. Go big or go home baby.

    PS Pokemon are scared away unless you're wearing camo. Everyone knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish that only 90% of what I lust after are mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Plenty of mistakes will be made along the way young Jedi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steven actually told me that these ARE in fact nurse's shoes. Or rather, that's what they used to be when he saw them in the back of the Alden book when he was ordering them ...

    ReplyDelete