Friday, May 7, 2010

Know When To Say When Pt. III

So Vane and Sebago get hammered, hooked up and I'll be damned if they didn't produce one hell of an ugly baby.  It's a shame too considering just how awesome this collaboration could have been - we're talking some of the most classic, cheap shoes that are pretty much perfect this time of year getting a slight tune up.  "Future Heritage", which is what they are calling the collaboration, is a term that conjures up both intrigue and fear in many people since such a phrase references both the concept of "reimagining" and "messing with what's proven".  This ultimately puts a ton of pressure on the brand(s) in terms of which way they take things and in this case I am inclined to feel the latter.

My problem isn't with the more "traditional" boat shoe models (though I wouldn't ever think of buying them for myself ) because I can see them working out for all the Kanye and Pharrell wannabees.  They are clean shoes that I'm sure will top off some denim quite nicely for the average streetwear dude - ain't no harm in giving those kids boat shoes they can get stoked on.  What I cannot even remotely fathom are the abominations seen below.  Everything about them is totally wrong and in the process destroys the heritage concept both brands set out to represent with the collaboration in the first place.  Discounting the patent leather all together these shoes bastardize multiple styles in a strange trying way to hard Frankenstein-ian manner.  Throwing a beef roll penny loafer strap on a lace up deck chukka is just plain ridiculous - not even counting the blatant lack of functionality, it just looks awkward as shit.   So yeah, I can't get down with this collaboration at all regardless of how much I like the two brands involved.  In aiming for the stars, and out doing all the other collaborations on the market, Vane and Sebago missed the mark...by a mile.  Save your money and buy yourself a pair of original Docksides - and skip the patent leather.  If this is the future of heritage I'm washing my hands clean and damn do I feel dirty.


-L.A.S 

16 comments:

  1. Man, you'll be sorry in the future when we're all wearing metallic jumpsuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, wow. It looks like Vans & Sebago hooked up at an S&M club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Google Reader I just saw the first picture which was bad enough. I wish I hadn't scrolled down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha ugly but its a from a brand called Vane!! http://hypebeast.com/2010/05/vane-sebago-2010-springsummer-future-heritage-collection-2/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bafic- I was so disgusted I misread it haha. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That second shoe is so hilarious that I'm glad someone made it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could have been there when these were "designed".

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are all haters! Especially you L.A.S you just can't appreciate art at its finest. These are beautiful shoes that shed a new light on the future of our country's heritage and style and will be passed down to our children and grand children. Shame on all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, didn't expect you to be such a hater, esp on artists like 'ye and skateboard P. I don't like them at all either but it's def a bold step in a new direction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why do you disparage "streetwear dude" and call them "kids"? I find that terribly disrespectful and distasteful considering your exploits of such genre of music on your girl blog and your "street" lexicon on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon @8:39- I am assuming that is straight sarcasm at it's finest. Well done.

    Anon @8:56- Not sure how long you have been reading this blog, but every now and then I get to exercise my hater tone of voice...it's nothing new.

    Anon @9:02- I wasn't disparaging anyone. I apologize if my tone of voice came off that way. I use the term "kids" quite frequently on the blog and not in a patronizing way at all - common Sart Inc vernacular if you will.

    Also, I think it is just as rude for you to assume that all rap fans (the music I assume you are alluding too on my Tumblr) are into streetwear or that all streetwear fans are into rap. Or that just because someone uses certain slang they are automatically associated with this group or that. Don't bother pigeonholing people, especially in this day in age...shit is pointless.

    I hope we are on the same page now and can both agree the above shoes are wack no matter what set you claim. Chuch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can't pigeonhole L.A.S DAWG - he is an upper middle class white guy from Charlotte that understands the streets. Hood as fuck in his McNairy cargos, Gant Rugger, and crispy double monks. Real recognize real bitch. Pass him a Coors light before you get clowned son. Chuch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anon @9:46- HAHAHA! Best. Comment. Ever. Also, on some real talk, I am from NJ not Charlotte and I am definitely not upper middle class on my current salary. Oh yeah, and Coors Light sucks.

    And, let's be honest, no one in the mens style blogosphere is "hood as fuck".

    ReplyDelete
  15. YouTube is extremely good popular in the course of lockdown and nearly all people is playing YouTube in this period. To enhance the presence of your channel the simply check in with YTBPals and we are able to offer you 1000 free YouTube Subscribers and to test your websites DA PA, go to DA PA Checker device on LetMePost

    ReplyDelete