Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Yup, In My White Tee"

When I was home for the holiday my mother, as she always lovingly does, made a TJ Maxx run for myself and my brother.  While she didn't buy any new South Pole or JNCO for us, she did bring home the essentials and my suitcase upon returning from my trip home was stuffed with new socks, boxer briefs, etc.  Interestingly enough my brother also took it upon himself to request a bunch of white crew neck t-shirts since he was attempting to work them into his wardrobe.  Like myself, my brother often looks to the icons for his style tips and after seeing one picture of McQueen in a crew neck he was sold.  He promptly asked me how I felt about the move and I offered my full endorsement.  It wasn't long before I was musing on sartorial simplification.

The best that ever did it (see: the gentleman below) kept it simple.  Often clean and crisp in a white crew neck tee, the gents who serve as our inspiration today knew when less was most definitely more.  They knew the white t-shirt went with absolutely everything and was one of only a few things you needed to look good. While it might not be the best item for this time of year, it's something to consider as things warm up.  When the weather turns nice you don't want to be burdened with multiple layers and tons of gear so why not consider heading out of the house in a properly fitting white t-shirt?  Properly fitting is the key here because you don't want a shirt, that as Andre 3000 once said, "looks like a nightgown."  Some people dig on v-necks, while other people go for pocket tee's, but I'll be the guy staying clean in my classic white crewneck.


 



 

 





-L.A.S

17 comments:

  1. summertime is callin my name...

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn i wish i was thin enough to carry off that look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Self-timer shot with the new cam? I'm a fan of the white tee for sure. Love the Redford pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Lee- Yep on the self-timer action. The lighting in my apartment sucks, but the new cam is a-ok so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TJ Maxx is where it's at for cheap undershirts and underwear. Occasionally you can find a RL Polo sweater or shirt that's in your size for almost half off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any preferred brands? I hate to buy white tees and find they're too thin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen- I rock with Calvin Klein, but I've found that the white tee is pretty specific to the individual. They are cheap enough that you can try out a few and find you're right cut. Whether it be Hanes, Calvin, or any other option you can't go wrong once you find your fit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring is creepin up on us. The white tee is so classic, the key to finding the right one is finding the right length with sleeves that are on the shorter side to achieve that old school look. I prefer to sleep in mine to get the perfect stretch in the neck and body. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oldhat- Those would be Tellason Denim

    www.tellason.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The White T had lost it's luster with me years ago until I came across these bad boys (http://search.jockey.com/exec/?kw=6524), the Jockey Echelon. Just check the dscript:

    -Crew neck T-shirt
    -Soft stretch cotton
    -Moisture-wicking, keeps you feeling cool and dry
    -Tagless for comfort

    These T's rock plus the are flattering show of the good parts and are supper comfy. I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I noticed Marshalls had some great soft tees in the sale bins - I like my tees new and sparkling white - anything else is for poslihing shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. L.A.S. much appreciated blog,

    without a doubt when it comes to the white tee, one must consider American Apparel, while they are notorious for the flamboyant colors the quality of their tees is unprecedented and they also have an exceptional cuts, and fabric blends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gotta agree with the guy above. I'm far from a hipster but the american apparel tee fits me perfectly. It's cut slimmer and longer than any other tee I've tried. A little more spendy if you buy them new, but I also find them at thrift spots all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That man is look like a hero of James bond film in that white T-shirt.
    I think that photo was very old photo.that only it look liked black and white.
    Buy T shirts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Southpole jeans are awesome, nice, Comfortable, attractive, Thanks
    southpole jeans

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any preferred brands? I hate to buy white tees and find they're too thin.

    best christmas gifts for mom
    best gifts for dad 2020
    best baby gifts 2020

    ReplyDelete