Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Bean Boot Project: Apothecary Fox Guest Post

It's taken a little while, but The Bean Boot Project finally has its first female entry.  Mr. James Fox, of 10engines fame, took it upon himself to nudge his sister, Sarah, to send something over.  Sarah calls herself a "late starter" when it comes to the boots, but is now a "committed lover"; sounds like something I can work with.  She runs her own blog over at Apothecary Fox, which serves to "share the most creative, beautiful and quirky, vintage and modern designs"; that too sounds like something I can work with.  I usually see Sarah over in the comments at 10e, but have recently taken some time to really sit down and digest her work.  To say that I am impressed would be an understatement.  As I mentioned yesterday, I'm always on the lookout for new perspectives and Apothecary Fox is just that.  For example, just yesterday she posted this...I have no idea what purpose it serves, but it's awesome.  That being said I am happy to share with you guys a female perspective on the boots we nerd out on pretty much daily.

(Kinda) Late To The Party And Loving It

"I didn’t own a pair of Bean Boots until circa 1992. When I moved to Scotland in 1980 my shoe of US heritage was the Penny Loafer, black and brown (new penny tucked into the front for each new pair). This was one of the items that marked me out as American at my British boarding school, where the uniform was a kilt during the winter and magenta and chocolate striped blazer and boater hat in the summer. They were a way of standing apart and reinforced my American-ness.

Later, I remember asking Pops (my Dad) for a pair of Bean Boots when I moved home to Vermont for a winter, after graduating high school. I saw them then as the defining item in my wardrobe that would identify me as American (well, a New Englander most certainly) whilst I had become more British over time. They were a quiet signal to others that I was one of them, that I belonged. That I understood the practical had to take priority when you live in the country, but that still leaves room for style when you go for the Bean Boot.  Classic, understated style of course!    
While planning to move back to Vermont in 2009, I got down to priorities. Before I had bought my ticket, organized the packers or even quit my job for that matter, I had to order my new boots to cope with the harsh winter I would soon call my everyday. “Ooh it’s warm today” (only -10!). I toyed with other choices, but was really just playing around. There was only ever one boot for me…the shearling lined 10” Bean Boot had my name on them. I prefer the dark chocolate brown leather to the tan, but it is a small detail. I figured I would need all the warmth I could get and this boot is perfect. I had them shipped to my brother’s place in Boston so I could pull them on straight off the plane.    8 weeks in to my move back, I have worn them every day and can’t wait for a reason to buy the gumshoe (when I don’t need to wade through feet of snow and just want weather proofing for my feet). And more than anything, they remind me that I truly am home."    
"My new boots….can’t wait to get that weathered and worn look to them." 
Picture courtesy of James Fox 
-L.A.S 
[Note: Head here for the project's backstory. Also, If you are reading this and I requested a submission from you or if you would just like to participate please feel free to submit (contact via email). Your participation, as always, is still much anticipated and appreciated.]

2 comments:

  1. I am delighted to give the female perspective anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm digging the quirkiness of her blog.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete