Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gant by Michael Bastian Preview




[Picture courtesy of Selectism.]

The Gant by Michael Bastian preview dropped today and we got...a video of some bros playing lacrosse in the rain.  In all seriousness, the collection is inspired by the "team sport of lacrosse" so even though the video shows none of the actual collection at least it still makes some sense.

Michael once joked that he couldn't even afford to buy his own clothes, so you can imagine what it's like for the rest of us paupers.  Gant by Michael Bastian is probably the most realistic chance that a few of us stylish gentlemen have at getting our hands on some gear designed by arguably the greatest mind in American sportswear (sorry Ralph).  Knowing what Bastian can do I have no doubt this stuff is going to be spectacular despite all signs pointing to a very "young" looking collection.  In Michael's own words, "I see my version of the Gant guy as the younger brother to the Michael Bastian guy."  As we wait for a leak (the lines launch date is August 2010) and some more official preview material check out the video.



-L.A.S

15 comments:

  1. It feels like a Nike commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a lifelong lacrosse player and college athlete I've always loved watching models pretend to play the sport; it's guaranteed hilarity. The only thing that lacrosse is bringing to the fashion table these days is the "lax bro."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've played lacrosse for years, but a line inspired by current lacrosse style is not something I would look forward to. If you flip through a lacrosse magazine now, the ads could easily be mistaken for ads from skateboard companies. They're just stupid. Now if it was inspired by 1980s/early 90s lacrosse, that would be something I'm down with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trip- I just so happen to love skateboarding so I am going to have to agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you guys remember the "skateboarding is not a crime" shirts/stickers from back in the day?
    Check out "the ultimate lax bro" on YouTube for a good visual of a summer on the CT shoreline. My generation was the last to get through the sport before Mikey Powell turned it "skurban."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I mean I think there is a difference between the old 70s/80s/early 90s skateboarding aesthetic and the current "extreme"/Bam Margera aesthetic, which is what the current lacrosse ads try to appeal to. I mean, skateboarding can have whatever style it wants; I'm not into it so I don't really care. I just don't like the fact that lacrosse, which has understated and Ivy League roots, is being promoted as some kind of extreme "skurban" (as Nicholas so eloquently put it) sport.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gant by MB! Now that's a colabo I can get behind. I fully agree with the "greatest mind" assessment.The couple of MB shirts I own I got at criminal discounts so it'll be cool to get the aesthetic at a more affordable rate. Pls keep us posted on this one Sart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. L.A.S. - I saw the MB for Gant showroom for the first time yesterday and the collection looks amazing. It has a great modern, athletic prep sensibility that I think is a departure from the rest of what's in the market. Most of the collection looks new and you will break a lot of it in yourself. I find this incredibly refreshing to see in an industry that is flooded with heaps of fake "vintage" stuff.

    Nicholas - Those aren't models man, that's the Swedish national LAX team...

    Trip - I think you are really going to like what you see for the most part. The line is preppy at its roots, there is nothing skater/extreme about it (It is MB after all).

    ReplyDelete

  9. Thank you for sharing such valuable and helpful information and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are providing wonderful information, it is very useful to us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep posting like this informative articles.

    ReplyDelete

  12. Remarkable! Its really amazing post, I have got much clear idea regarding from this piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today I am the very very charm because I read your post from start to end and get more information I am very inspired today

    ReplyDelete