Monday, January 4, 2010

The Bean Boot Project: A Teriffic Life Guest Post

Submissions are still trickling in and I can't think of a better time as temperatures approach frigid even in my neck of the woods (I wore this badboy all day).  Mr. Aaron Kirsch, fellow Debonair Magazine contributor and blogger, sent over his own personal history with the Bean Boot and pics of his brand new pair.  Aaron, besides having one of the best named blogs in the business, has been a reader and commenter at Sartorially Inclined for a very long time and runs a pretty swell blog in his own right.  I am happy to present his submission after what can be best described as me begging him to send his thoughts over for quite some time.

"I grew up in a rich suburb of Boston and attended private schools with dress codes my entire life. My father and mother are big fans of L.L. Bean, whenever I am at home I check out the latest catalog. As children, my siblings and I all had the initial monogrammed backpacks, chinos, jackets and last but not least the Bean Boots. All of this stuff was bought for its utility; these items worked. My parents also appreciated the iron-clad guarantee that Bean on its products. Not until college did I begin to care much about style, and low and behold L.L. Bean items still get heavy play in my wardrobe's rotation, for BOTH style and utility.

The Bean duck boots are arguably the best footwear for New England winters in our rural, suburban or even urban settings. Slush is where the boots shine. In Boston, the weather is pretty volatile, it could be snowing New Year's Eve and 55 degrees a couple days later and then back to the negatives. This volatilitycreatres snow, then slush, then ice and all three of those conditions are when I bring out my Bean boots, and they never let me down. My current pair has Goretex and Thinsulate to keep my feet dry and warm and the rubber tread keeps me on my feet rather than on my ass.

Not only does the Bean boot perform, but it is also pretty stylish, in its own rugged way. Not only those of us who romatincize the outdoorsy, backwoods, Maine look (Pop up Flea crowd HOLLA!) dig the boot, but those of us (and our parents) who simply want traditional men's and women's clothing that lasts regardless of what's on the cover of GQ and in the boutiques on Soho and Brooklyn. The colour of the leather and the contrasting rubber goes with everything, even a suit for those slushy commutes from Commuter Rail Station at South Station to one's place of employment."


-L.A.S

[Note: Head here for the project's backstory. Also, If you are reading this and I requested a submission from you or if you would just like to participate please feel free to submit (contact via email). Your participation, as always, is still much anticipated and appreciated.] 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Lawrence,

    glad to do this bro!

    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful post, one of the best in the series thus far

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I grew up in a rich suburb of Boston and attended private schools with dress codes my entire life"

    Why did you find it neccesary to preface your post with that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Evan probably because dress codes require a lot things that LLB carries, like khakis, solid color polos, modest dresses, and dress casual footwear.

    ReplyDelete