Monday, July 12, 2010

Attn: Brooks Brothers x Gilt

When a few people inquired about an exclusive Brooks Brothers collection for Gilt over at my Tumblr I cried foul.  I brushed the news off as most likely a copy error on Gilt's behalf (i.e. mislabeling Woolrich Woolen Mills as Woolrich, etc.).  Well, today GQ has confirmed what I originally thought smelled like bullshit - noon marks the debut of a new Brooks Brothers line for the online retailer.  Apparently the collection is "a younger, slimmer spin on BB staples like cotton chinos, prep-schoolish cardigans...and repp ties" separate from BB's Black Fleece line and the brand's recent foray into slimmer fitting gear.  Word has it that the new collection for Gilt will be available exclusively online until August when the collection hits select BB locations.  Based on the looks below it appears as if things are staying pretty conservative (much more so than Black Fleece) with the only update being fit.  If this is something that interests you sign up for Gilt here, but be aware that by using my invitation you hook me up with $25 worth of credit after your first purchase.  So, you know, if you think I suck you might want to holler at someone else.  Is this the future of Brooks Brothers?  Will this be the big ticket many think the brand needs?  Can this new collection excel where Black Fleece failed? I have absolutely no idea, but ask me again around lunch time.


-L.A.S

[Editor's Note: Looks like they're calling this stuff Brooks Brothers Heritage - as if that should be a surprise to anyone.]

16 comments:

  1. This shit is just not that fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its Ok a bit safe to me. However the fit looks to be pretty decent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contrary to what the Gilt Website says, many of the items are on the Brooks Brothers website for purchase right now, you just have to hunt for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The suit jacket is really the only thing i'm not too impressed with. I dig all the sweaters, pants & wovens.

    Per uzh, their "models" look completely square; though this is the "edgiest" BB model i've ever seen... "look at that crazy, college kid hair!"

    For the record, I dug the Thom Browne stuff... and the Mad Men collaboration too. I think the collaborations deliver on what can be a very vanilla brand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stuff on their site is pretty disappointing. I posted a thread over on AAAC in the Trad Forum and it was met with mass disapproval. I think they've swung and missed big time with this line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with Memphis88. I appreciate the collaborations and the movement to a younger look from BB... but this collection is pretty disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In answer to your questions,

    No.

    No.

    And,

    No.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smacks of "This is not your parents Oldsmobile"... and we know how that turned out. Brands like Brooks struggle to reach new segments when they should be trying to expand the wallet share of their target segment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those clothes are ugly and uninspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty lame if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was disappointed the critter pants are weak, the cardigans are ok, but in general it seems more of the same ol' I don't see anything on here that is new and exciting in comparison to previous BB stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks like they are trying to beat j.crew at j.crew's game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brooks Brothers does J.Crew.

    Boring.

    Why mess with what works? Stick with the classic line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I checked on the website. Unfortunately the model does not come with the quite boring clothes.

    ReplyDelete