Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Silas Knows Best

I've never been the biggest fan of Silas as they were always a little too streetwear-y for my particular tastes.  Eventually, as they were picked up by the Highsnobietys and Hypebeasts of the world, I kind of stopped paying a whole lotta attention.  Earlier this week I saw some pretty cool fall lookbook pics floating around Tumblr from an unnamed brand.  After tracking them down, which proved difficult on a site that seems to completely disregard sources, they turned out to be the F/W 2010 lookbook snaps from none other than Silas.  You can check out the entire thing if you please, but I'd like to focus on one particular fit that I think is a pretty good primer for fall style in general.


There's not too much going on here and it's not some incredibly awesome complication of multiple pieces.  Instead, Silas puts together an updated preppy look without going all left field on us.  You probably already own some chinos and seasonal sweaters or vests (be it an L.L. Bean Norwegian or otherwise), but have you ever thought of pairing them with a leather jacket?  The jacket and the rest of the kit work with different stylistic sensibilities, yet, combined, create an interesting whole.  It's an unconventional pairing that happens to work perfectly.  I guess at the end of the day it's another extension of the "juxtaposition school of thought" - a school of thought that's easy to dig once you see outfits like the one above.  Evidently, Silas has known best all along.

-L.A.S

2 comments:

  1. Not really shocking, considering it's coming from me, but I fully support this combo.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could also be perceived as a hipster look- all pieces being vintage in my interpretation- fitted sweater and a paper thin red t-shirt with some faded logo lying beneath the knit. Saw the lookbook and my favorite is the army jacket look.

    ReplyDelete