Friday, July 2, 2010

Stay Dull

The recent chatter surrounding the Bass Weejun as it stands today has drawn quite a bit of criticism to say the least.  It seems that the majority of people's problem or issue with the modern Weejun is the corrected grain leather, which gives the shoes a shiny, lacquered and ultimately cheap appearance.  I personally have two pairs of Bass Dovers and understand where everyone is coming from.  While the shoes age moderately well they seem to hold onto some of their shine no matter how broken in they get.  Make no mistake about it, this is a deal breaker for some folks.  It should be noted that Bass does sell a Weejun, their Gilman model specifically, with a Vegano leather upper that appears much more natural and less machine processed, if you will, than the other members of the Weejun family.  And if you're really an intense orthodox Trad and your issues go beyond merely the look of the leather, Bass also sells their Jeffery model which is the last made in the U.S.A. Weejun as far as I can tell (not including collaborations with other designers and brands such as Mark McNairy and J. Crew).  I know I wasn't alive in the hey day of the made in the states Weejuns that dominated college campuses up and down the east coast, but a lot of these concerns are just as important to a new generation of Weejun fans.  If you have since given up on Bass based on what you've been reading across the blogosphere it might do you some good to check out a pair in person and decide for yourself.  Just sayin'.


-L.A.S

4 comments:

  1. The Jeffereys look great, but it seems like most people would rather pay a little more and get a pair of AEs or even Aldens. There's no way that the basic weejuns are better quality than weejuns of old. I've seen too many people say otherwise over in the trad forum on AAAC and elsewhere. I know I quit wearing my weejuns when I got a pair of RL loafers that are much, much better quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own a pair of Wilton's and am satisfied with them for a shoe I picked up for under 100 bucks, however if I had the cash I would have loved to spring for the Jeffery's. I don't really like the pebbled leather of the Wilton's but other than that they are wearing in well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought 2 pairs of Larson beefrolls at a Bass factory store for about $50. For the quality, I really wouldn't pay more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi. was wondering if you have photos of prep school kids wearing plastered weejuns? whats your take on this?

    ReplyDelete