Monday, August 2, 2010

L.L. Bean Signature's F/W 2010 Big Winner: The Work Boot

Opinion seemed to be fairly split when I first previewed L.L. Bean Signature's F/W2010 collection - you can hit the comments section to read all the various praises and criticisms if you'd like.  I, personally, was extremely impressed with what Alex Carleton and co. whipped up, especially with the various "new" footwear up for grabs.  A good chunk of F/W 2010 is on sale today, but I'd like to focus on my favorite piece.  Much like the waxed canvas Bean boot from S/S 2010, F/W 2010 had a hands down front runner that happens to be of the footwear variety as well - The Work Boot.  Actually, "Work Boot" is a pretty interesting description for a shoe that seems to draw inspiration from L.L. Bean's classic blucher moc more so than anything else (I'm sure there is a vintage model of The Work Boot no doubt, but it's more than likely that was based on a moc style shoe as well).  Details, such as beefroll stitching, speed eyelets, added height (not sure if it is 8" or 10"), and rugged sole take the blucher moc and make it instantly F/W ready.  The sole might even be the best addition.  The rubber sole (with EVA foam cushioning) appears to be a combination of the typical blucher moc bottom and a traditional lug sole.  This keeps the original low profile moc silhouette in place, while toughening it up for the elements.  Overall, it's a handsome boot and L.L. Bean Signature's F/W 2010 biggest winner.  You can snipe The Work Boot as of today, but I am pretty sure it doesn't ship out until late August/early September. Good things come to those who wait.


-L.A.S

14 comments:

  1. Ummm, this boot is perhaps the worst thing to come out of LL Bean Signature. It looks like that Sebago Boot. Remember that? I actually love your taste L.A.S. but I feel this is the first item I don't agree on.

    I would rather wear Ronald McDonald's shoes than those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I went online today all excited about the new duffles (because I need a medium sized one, and the blue waxed cotton looked fantastic) but was greeted to a sigle waxed duffle, large, in khaki. I wrote them inquiring about the other colors & sizes, and apparently they've all sold out for the season? Doesn't make any sense. I'm confused about L.L.Bean Signature this season...andwill be very disappointed if the other bags do not end up for sale on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam - this is Laurie Brooks from L.L.Bean PR. Not sure where you saw a blue waxed cotton duffle. We brought back the original ZD Zipper Duffle from 1934. But instead of "army duck" and "vinyl coated fabric" bottom, the re-issued duffle is waxed cotton with leather trim and bottom. The original was offered in three sizes; we are only offering the new version in large. There are no other sizes or colors available for this particular bag. If this bag proves popular, we may consider offering additional sizes and colors. Here is a pic that shows the current bag and the vintage version from a 1979 catalog scan. http://www.twitpic.com/29ih29 You are always welcome to contact me directly with questions lbrooks@llbean.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie,

    I saw a photo on a blog that showed multiple colors and sizes. Hopefully the first run is a success, and it will soon be available in the other colors & sizes. That makes much more sense than what I was told in the reply e-mail from customer service. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those boots look exactly like the Sebago garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the Signature collection is incredible...makes J Crew look like Express

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...i don't know what that first guy was on about; these are well bloody fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I know I have already started to think about what I am going to wear these with when I get them, The quality of these boots must be beyond amazing! Can't wait for them to be on ma feet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh. Beautiful boots, and I think most of the footwear in the signature line is sweet. My main gripe is that there are no wide sizes. No long/tall sizes on the clothes either, which seems a little strange to me, and makes me wonder if Signature is primarily intended to make money, or if it is intended to lend cachet to the L.L. Bean name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been looking for a moccasin boot for winter, something with a rugged sole. I had considered Quoddy's grizzly boot with the Vibram sole, but Bean's liberal return policy and lower price got me to try these. It's so hard for me to get shoes online, I need a no questions asked return policy to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sam -- You may be thinking of the Downeaster duffle bags that were part of the S/S 2010 line. They came in navy, red, and white in a few different sizes. Now that F/W has debuted, they've been clearanced out. Evidently white is the only one that's still available. F/W has the plaid duffle, as well as the canvas duffle from the archives that Laurie is talking about. There's also a great leather weekender bag in the F/W line, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Make them in Maine

    Your signature line is a great concession towards those desirous of authentic simple and historic product, but the experience is entirely undermined by having them shipped over the pacific ocean.

    People seeking these products will pay the higher costs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just ordered a pair of these for upland hunting actually - but I'm funny like that. While I haven't received them yet, they look like a good lower cost alternative to Russells. And for those that are hyperventilating about "Sebago", moc-toe boots have been a staple among upland hunters for eons.

    ReplyDelete