Thursday, August 19, 2010

Back To School

I'm not sure how many of you are currently gearing up to head back to school, but for those of you who are let's chat about backpacks for a second.  There seems to be a slight misconception among the style set these days that traditional backpacks are not cool (or whatever operative word you're currently running with).  Just because it's not a waxed canvas rucksack doesn't mean it's a no go.  Let's be honest, most backpacks do suck, but there's no need to pull a guilty by association on the entire genre.  My favorite backpacks right now are by Hershel Supply Co.  They're bag perfection if you ask me.  I got hands on with them a while back and was impressed with both the construction and detailing - accents, zippers and classy branding.   The best thing about these is, arguably, the price point.  The most expensive model is $110 and packs of various sizes (depending on what you carry on a day to day basis of course) can cost as little as $45.  That's a damn fine deal, even for mom and dad if they are picking up that back to school tab.  You can always scour The Bay for some vintage JanSport or exclusive Japanese market only unicorn, but for my money Hershel Supply Co. is as good as it gets.  Available at Need Supply as well.


-L.A.S

13 comments:

  1. It's a shame they have nowhere to put your thermos. Unfortunately, for that reason alone, I would advise to stay clear of these backpacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This backpack is indeed of good quality, I was planning to pick it up but decided on the Parrot Canvas x Woodlands collaboration backpack instead. Traditional is classic, how can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Ottawans (aka, just me), NORML stocks these. I wanted to buy one for back to school, but I decided they were all too small, and I wasn't a fan of the faux-leather. I went with a big backpack from Undefeated and left this one to my mom.
    My mom is rocking a Herschel backpack, damn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. advice please :- I only use backpack when I travel (like last year I was walking around Tokyo for 2 weeks with 2 kids and wife AND take photos at the same time, totes\ shoulder bags are cool and all but I need a backpack).

    what do you suggest? Makr. seil marschall, Porter? I need a light-weight one (no leather) and loads of side pockets...

    thanks in advance

    Brian

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dig the backpacks, LAS, but please revise the part about the leather accents. It's all synthetic, which is too bad since it will probably not do what it's supposed to do and that's making the bottom of the pack more durable like real leather will do. This also makes the price point of the bags less appealing imho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TSF- When I was hands on with it I'll admit I was impressed with the faux leather as much as one can be. I know that bums a lot of people out, but I don't think it diminishes the bag. Not to mention it helps with the price, which even with faux leather, is still really on point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank's for posting this. I've been looking for a backpack and hadn't heard of Herschel. Liking the "Pop Quiz" one. I think the red one is the bomb but I'm not sure if I could pull it off however...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Vegan friendly" is a handy euphemism for faux leather.

    Personally, I think fake leather is pointless. May as well go for a heavy weight nylon Cordura in a contrasting color. Tougher and no need for awkward excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree with contrasting cordura but for those of you stating real vs faux leather at these prices? also porter seil marshall etc are all about 5 x the price. i am a huge fan of porter bags especially there basic ones but i can imagine how great a herschel basic bag would be if they decided to build one @ $200 retail if they can make prodcuct i want @ $45....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The black and navy heritage bag are out of stock. Any good alternatives?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I back Herschel 110%. Great quality, design and like you said for the money you can't beat em. I've got the Novel duffel and it's the best weekend travel bag I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got the Red guy there and it's awesome! Plus, the vegan girls in williamsburg swoon over the fake leather details.

    ReplyDelete