Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Attn: L.L. Bean Town and Field Pant Sale

I'll make this one quick and painless. Wool trousers are a necessity for F/W - it's that simple.  Getting high quality wool trousers for $50 is a flat out coup.  L.L. Bean's Town and Field pant, one of the best value pants on the market, disappeared thanks to seasonal shifts, but are now back online.  And not only are they back, but they're on sale (and with free shipping by the way).  A full grip of waist sizes are available for the charcoal joints and with complimentary cuff service there is no reason not to pick up a pair, or two for that matter.  There was a good deal of press on these when they first came out, so for a refresher course you can read up on them here, complete with insight from Don Rogers, L.L. Bean's product line manager.  He's the guy who created the pants, so you know, he's got things pretty much on lock. As a side note: these pants are more or less identical to a pair of Cucinelli trousers I own (straight leg, back flap pockets, etc.) and those pants were NOT 50 bones. And they were even on sale. You get the picture.




-L.A.S

22 comments:

  1. What's the fit like on LL Bean pants? I'm a 30 in pretty much every pant i've ever owned. I was looking at copping their Sig Field pant, and might get these too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jes- True to size. I wear a 32 across the board and a 32 in the T+F pant. It might not be as slim as some people want, but for my money they look great with no break and a cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wicked thanks Lawrence! Gonna place my order right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn you LL Bean. Make clothes for the < 30 waist crowd! Kudos on the inseams, though. 26inch is rare. Wish I could give my jeans a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like my pants the same way I like my shits: no break. Doesn't that sound crispy, brah?

    ReplyDelete
  6. would be interested to see how these compare to the flannel pant that just came out on the LLB Signature line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These looks great Lawrence, thanks for the heads up.

    Since I'm still new to getting my gear in check, what are you planning on pairing these with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have two pair of these, grey and light olive, warm, comfortable, well fitting...nothing not to like, especially on sale.

    And remember, you can send 'em back anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CJ,

    I have both the T&F and Signature Searsport Flannel.

    Overall, I prefer the Signature model (nicer material, lower rise / slimmer leg), but the flap pockets on the T&F definitely look good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Should probably add that the inseam is 29 inches or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Roger said...
    Darn you LL Bean. Make clothes for the < 30 waist crowd! Kudos on the inseams, though. 26inch is rare. Wish I could give my jeans a break."

    Roger, based on your size you might wanna try these:

    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63316?parentCategory=6146&feat=6146-tn&cat4=6142

    Oh snap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tanks Anon! I'm not going to pollute LAS's blog with a a response like yours.

    PS: Those are relaxed fit. Can you find me ones that are slim fit?

    Your're my hero Anonymous/Shit Stain/ etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this. I ordered one myself. This is going to be my first purchase from L.L.Bean and hopefully not my last.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don from LL Bean

    I wanted to provide an update on the fate for the Town and Field Pant. After last season we dropped the above-mentioned style to provide our fans a better pant in FA’10. We worked with our woolen mill partner to develop a 100% wool flannel that is machine washable and wrinkle resistant by content and construction. The new development is called the Three Season Wool Pant and will retail for $89. It has the same style lines and fit as its predecessor and can be custom fit to length (with or without breaks or cuffs.) The new pant is currently only available by telephone (1.800.441.5713) but will be in catalogs and on the web soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. one of my biggest regrets is not getting these pants in olive. I have the charcoal and they are the best wool pants I've ever had. Heavy weight while being quite soft.

    I'm ordering a second pair in charcoal (no cuffs) but I wish they'd post the details on these new pants so I could combine the order.

    ReplyDelete
  16. should flat front slacks like this be cuffed??

    ReplyDelete
  17. A color in black would be nice

    ReplyDelete