Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Working Man's Working Button Holes



[Pictured: Lands' End Canvas chino blazer available for $69.50.]

Working button holes on your sportcoat or blazer ups your style quotient quicker than having your picture on The Sartorialist.  For whatever reason this detail is extremely hard to find off the rack and usual takes a trip to the tailor and some extra greenbacks to make happen.  This is a crying shame as far as I am concerned so whenever I see a jacket that comes complete with working button holes I pretty much geek the hell out.

Lands' End Canvas apparently got the memo on this and their new chino blazer for spring comes complete with more sartorial flair than the price lends itself to (if you have any questions about quality read my hands on review of LEC).  If you needed another reason to finally pick up that chino blazer and knock another staple off your wardrobe list you may have finally met your match.  In my eyes there really is no reason whatsoever not to pounce on this.  I remember interviewing this guy for an opening at work who showed up wearing a suit with working button holes.  He almost got the job too, but he was a complete idiot.

 

-L.A.S

9 comments:

  1. I'll have to grab one, thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the detail, but that top frame with the turned back cuffs and upturned collar is struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason they don't come on more off-the-rack jackets is because once the button holes are sewn into the sleeves, it is basically impossible to have the sleeves shortened without it looking off balance. I would personally prefer to have the right amount of shirt cuff showing than to have working buttons on a sleeve that is too long. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. H&M has some nice suiting options with working button holes. I picked up a slimmer-fitting linen one last summer, pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new Land's End. Taking the working buttonhole thing a little further, it is a detail on Bespoke or Made to Measure suits which come without any buttons or holes on the sleeve (MTM) and are put on only when everything else is exactly correct. When they come with new jackets that aren't tailored for the specific person working buttonholes mean that you can not alter without taking the jacket in from the shoulders which will cost you roughly twice the price of the jacket.

    Be Carefull before you buy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have mildly short arms, all I know is that when I get sportscoats with pre-cut button holes shortened it is a big hot mess. One button has to be dangerously close to end of sleeve... UGGGGGHHH!!! I have asked my tailor if he could take the whole sleeve off and shorten from the top instead of the other end: he claims this usually doesnt work well since the allignment of the sleeve whole gets compromised...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trip hit the nail on the head, that's why almost nobody does this. I have an Orvis RTW tweed with working buttonholes on sleeves that are too long that I picked up for $18 at a thrift store. Not much I can do to fix it though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leave surgeon cuffs for bespoke and made to measure suiting. Off the rack coats with surgeon cuffs come off as a bit poseur in nature. Of course, fit, drape and workmanship should be the ultimate measure of a coat's integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wilshire tailor in LA shortens all my jackets from the shoulder for me and does a great job! It's not recomended, but the other option in $$$ for MTM or ill-fitting jackets. It can be done, but the tailor must be top-notch

    ReplyDelete