Thursday, November 12, 2009

Reinventing The Wheel: J. Crew's Sun-Washed Flannel

The holiday selection at J. Crew has hit stores and the web and while it's pretty much what we've all come to expect, there is one stroke of, dare I say, genius.  Despite the recent success of J. Crew and their ability to offer classic Americana at an affordable price, they have yet to do anything original of note...at least until now.

There are tons of flannels on the market, but none quite as unique as the new J. Crew sun-washed models.  This twist on the classic cold weather shirt is something I have yet to see from any other brand and they look fantastic in person (I can also vouch for fit).  Still defined by their thick fabric, but lightened just enough to set them apart from the playing field these are the coolest flannels I have seen this season.  Unlike your typical flannel, the inherent utility of these shirts (it's ability to warm) forms an intriguing combination with the washed-out (shout out to Paul) warmness of the colors.  Instead of dropping 2 bills on something from Woolrich Woolen Mills, I'd much rather get three of these.  Snag 'em here for $69.50.









-L.A.S

8 comments:

  1. I saw these a couple days ago in the San Francisco store. Definitely wanna pick up a couple; how perfect for fall / winter layering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I dig the look of those from the site!

    Next time the wife has to go to the mall, I will stop by J.Crew and check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see that you can vouch for their fit. One of my favorite things to do on the internet is to bitch about J.Crew's fit. I'm guessing they nailed it this season, after the complaints from the blogsphere for the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with the Enthusiast- it's been a favorite past time of mine that I hope one day fades... I noticed trying on a plaid like these a month back and it was much better... still prefer Rugby's shirting...but to each is own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Plett- All fit aside, the jury's still out until Rugby can hit back with something this dope/unique...

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look great.as long as i don't see anyone with vans on jerking in a youtube video i'll be good. A+

    http://www.justnorman.blogspot.com
    the blog that no one know about

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. These definitely stand out--as much as I love the flannel look I am already going through the feeling of retail overload with everyone wearing it for everything. I have relegated my own flannel (insert bad homo joke here) to the closet until the trend turns it's evil Mordor-esque gaze elsewhere. Alright, fine, I still wear the flannels around the house, but the official story is I'm on strike. But these are definitely that something special.

    The only other thing that really can stand apart is to grab some "ugly" flannels at a thrift store--all the designer stuff is always beautiful, bright colors. Grab something grandpa might have worn, guaranteed no one else will be rockin it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenn- I'm not sure If I can endorse "ugly" flannels, but you are right...that is a sure way to stand out from the flood of designer flannel (kind of an oxymoron in itself.)

    ReplyDelete