Monday, November 2, 2009

The Cosby Shoe




[Pictured: Adidas Samba available at Zappos for $59.95.]

Jack Purcells, Authentics, Stan Smiths and Chucks are so ubiquitous these days that certain publications are going as far as telling you to wear them with your suit.  While you will never hear such a recommendation from myself you can expect a little nudge towards the road less traveled.  Instead of getting another, or even your first, pair of the aforementioned sneakers why not get a pair of Adidas Sambas?

The Samba has been around since 1950 when it was first introduced as suitable footwear for soccer players who trained on icy, hard ground.  Since its debut it has become the second largest seller for Adidas, behind the Stan Smith, with 35 million pairs sold worldwide.  While you can still buy the original version used for training featuring the foldable, extended tongue, there are numerous "updated" (more manageable tongue, etc.) versions for those who don't play the beautiful game.  

Being a former player myself, I can't recall a time in my life when I didn't own a pair of Sambas.  Currently, my beautiful cream and olive pair (they look awesome, I swear) are being held hostage by my brother back in NJ, but that's another story for another day.  During my earliest days playing indoor, I remember getting excited just to suit up for practice knowing I was going to be wearing my Sambas and they pretty much never left my feet for an extended portion of my childhood.  Just as classic as it was almost 60 years ago, the Samba is your perfect understated sneaker.  No bells. No whistles. No graphics. No neons.  Just unwavering, steadfast soul.

Pick up a pair and wear 'em with your denim before the weather gets too crappy.  And when the weather does take a turn for the worst, put 'em away until spring.  You're sure to have a smile on your face the first time you lace up sockless in April.  They were good enough for Roger Daltrey and Dr. Huxtable and, believe me, they are good enough for you.

"...you weren’t anything unless you had Adidas." - Bill Cosby, The Playboy Fashion Guide Interview, 9/2/09




-L.A.S

14 comments:

  1. my brother always had a black pair of sambas as a kid. I prefer the Jack Purcell or a pair of Vans myself, but they are all fairly interchangeable. You can definitely not wear sneakers with suits if you work in a corporate environment. If you are a freelancer working in a creative industry or a creative professional, a khaki suit with a pair of Adidas Stan Smiths is more than appropriate, IMHO.

    PS: Where is the L.L. Bean Boot article, I am feverishly awaiting it, curious to see who ended up contributing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron - I guess a chino suit worn informally would be the one exception to the rule. As far as the Bean Boot project, well, it's coming along. I got a lot of great feedback from a lot of talented folks, but I still need the contributions from a lot of people. I'm not rushing it since quality is my goal. Keep your eyes peeled, it should be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I looove your blog it's very avant-garde. I'm now following you via rss feed, wanna follow me too??

    @ MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. bruh, those white samba's were a problem when i was in middle school and then the beginning of high school. i forgot how funky they were. imma definately have to get back on them. thanks for the RE-inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this fella Maison Chaplin is going around and telling everyone their blog is "avant-garde" because I got THEE SAME COMMENT last night and your response is hilarious! I thought the exact same thing!! :[) Too funny!

    annnnyways.... love the sambas.. it is funny because I have always liked these shoes a lot since junior high...but never got around to getting myself a pair...I think I am more of a converse girl I guess...however I instantly take notice and do admire fondly when I see them, especially ESPECIALLY when worn by little kids... love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gahd these were playground staples, a pair of khakis, an ll bean coat and some sambas were elementary/middle school through and through. sick, sick post man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these shoes. They have been on my wishlist for a long time--your post just scooted them towards the front of the line. Thanks as always
    ~Brenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Marj - Ugh. Spammers need to get the hell off my blog...You need to get around to getting a pair. They look good on everyone!

    KJ - I'm happy you made it over to the comments. I'm excited to get some insight from the BD CEO.

    RJ - Odds are that if it was fresh in middle school it's still fresh...well...maybe not, since I don't still rock No Fear, Yomega YO Yo's and And 1. Ha...Sambas are my go to black sneakers.

    Brenn- So that's your username...I was beginning to wonder. Samba's are inexpensive enough that I recommend you take the leap. Shoes always make an outfit so I would prioritize these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at these black shoes I realized that I don't own a black belt... hmmm... This has to fix'd, fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enthusiast - You should probably get on that asap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess you're not anybody until Madison Chaplin calls your blog "avant-guard." I need to turn it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking shoes without brands... but I couldn't found anything similar. Where I can find something good? I mean most of the bloggers always add useless information, but I know you're different,so I hope you can help me. I'm going to search by Google this to improve the range.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your shoes is so sporty In fact I want to order.

    ReplyDelete