Thursday, October 29, 2009

Debate: Tuck-ered Out



[Pictured: Derrick Miller of Barker Black.  Apparently the ladies love the tie tuck.  Picture courtesy of The Sartorialist.

After two busy days at work I arrived to my blog reading list to find it spilling over with awesome post after awesome post.  Today is one of those days where I could read and not write a single word and be the happiest guy around...but I've been ruminating on a particular sartorial conundrum lately so I figured I'd put the metaphorical pen to paper.

The best dressed guy I know happens to be this older doctor I work with.  The guy's wardrobe is pretty stacked and he perfectly combines "old man" style with a southern swagger.  His shoes alone will make you weep for joy.  What led me to write this is his affinity for the tie tuck (not to be confused with the similarly named move where you tuck your tie into your shirt).  No matter what the outfit, the guy wears his pants fairly high-waisted (as many older men do) and without fail tucks his tie into the waistband of his pants.  It's kinda quirky, as one would expect, but it works.  Baffled by his embrace of such a shunned sartorial move, I have begun experimenting with this look a few times myself.  Since I wear a tie (and tie bar) to work everyday besides Friday, I often get a chance to tuck the end of my tie into my pants.  What I once scoffed at is quickly becoming on of my easier, go to sartorial moves. 

Do any browsing on the internet and you will see that the tie tuck has been blacklisted.  The Ask Andy Forums, of which I am not a member, tore it apart and a few GQ editorials lambast it as well.  This has been one of the first times where I'm bucking the so called classic style "rules".  Are rules not made to be broken anyhow?  To me, the tie tuck ads a certain level of sophistication or dandyness to an outfit even if the tie is merely tucked for a functional reason.  I also do not agree that this is only for men who don't understand how to properly knot their tie (I go with an immaculate four-in-hand every morning) or wear their pants as high as physically possible (I tend to wear my pants a tad high, but nothing ludicrous).

Just look at Thom Browne and Sean Connery below.  As far as I can tell they look damn good with their ties tucked into their waistbands.  It could possibly be that both of these man could wear just about anything and get away with it, but I think otherwise.  Whether this is a look you've actively participated in or not, I'd like to get some feedback.  Are we feeling dandy or are we all tuck-ered out?

-L.A.S



[Mr. Brown looking mighty fine on the GQ red (black?) carpet.]



[Left:  Connery all tucked in. Right: 3/2 roll, tie tuck status unknown.]

11 comments:

  1. Honestly, I feel like I am too tall or have to long a torso to ever pull this off. I think it can look fine though as you illustrate here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tie, when I wear one, usually sits at my belt so it doesn't get tucked in, but then again, I don't wear suits (I'm 18 after all). The tie tuck is something that some can pull-off and others cannot. If there were clear cut rules, like GQ claims, we'd be a much better dressed society. Sadly, there aren't clear cut rules and we must decided for ourselves what our own style is. The problem with this is that we are often disillusioned about what our own style is, we misstep, and we end up dressing like my older brother (less than subtle jab). My personal rule? If your not wearing a belt, then why not. You wouldn't want to dress like everyone else, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enthusiast - Good call on the no belt aspect...totally missed that. And take it easy on your brother why dontcha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the guy up top and SC pull it off. But with Mr. Brown, the tuck plus all his other proportions add up to make him look 3 feet tall. I'm the biggest proponent for no break, but not negative break. That, combined with the really high rise and the tie tuck make him look so short. I understand he is slightly short, so I don't understand why he dresses in a way that accentuates his small height.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conor - Mr. Browne would tell you that the proportions of his suit offset his smaller build...i.e. short trousers extend his legs...But I agree with you that sometimes he just appears dwarfish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea. I think also the camera angle contributes to it. If the camera wasn't pointed down at him I might get the intended effect, but as it is it only increases the illusion. Or the reality I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tie tuck has always seemed appropriate for me. At five-nine, I always have extra tie length after I tie properly-my desired knot. It makes for a neat look in general. Thom Browne's look remains too theatrical for the mainstream. As long as he has no intention of selling his line to lawyers-bankers-consultants ... folks who need to be taken seriously-he's good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ADG- Agreed on the Thom Browne thoughts. The most ironic thing is those very same lawyers-bankers-consultants are the only people who can afford his damn clothes in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the first Connery image from James Bond? That's my first thought, but he looks so young in the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I gues the world have change a lot since a 100 years ago and that kind of cloths never change they are always used by rich people, people who works in good companies, but personally I don't like them they are unconfortable, on my guess when you are working you must be as confortable as possible.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to tuck my shirts inside my underwear. It feels right. When I tuck my tie in my underwear it get's lumpy feeling.

    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete