Monday, December 13, 2010

Attention Varisty Enthusiasts

Ryan briefly mentioned Gant Rugger's F/W 2011 incarnation of their instant classic Homerun Varsity and after seeing it in person this past Saturday I'm here to back up his sentiments.  Basically, if you are the kind of guy who likes the varsity jacket look you should start saving up some money now.  That's how good this new version is (I'm calling it Homerun 3.0 in my head).  The solid wool body of the past Homerun jackets has been replaced by an incredible red herringbone wool weave and the beige leather sleeves feature a new treatment that takes this jacket to a level few varsities have previously been.  On top of all that, this version is unstructured (as is a lot of the new F/W 2011 outerwear) making it easily the most comfortable option out there.  With the recent explosion in varsity jacket popularity lots of brands have been trying to rework things.  I am here to say that no one is doing a better job than Chris & Co. and after seeing F/W 2011 I can say, without a doubt, that Gant Rugger is coming as hard as ever with all their new stuff.  Thanks to Tenue de Nimes for taking way better spy pics than I ever could.



-L.A.S

11 comments:

  1. Man, no color pics of this thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Varisty! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A while back, after seeing one too many over-priced designer letterman jackets, I found these guys: http://thejacketshop.com

    Seems like yet another case where the genuine articles can be had custom built at a better price than from the boutique brands that they "inspire."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, not so sure about this. Wearing a faux letter jacket seems just as dorky as wearing your real one post-high school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with MJP. This is all hype marketing mixed with full poseur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can someone please explain to me why they use faux leather? It's GANT Rugger...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon @2:24- Haha, they use real leather.

    Re-read MJP's comment..."faux LETTER" as in, fake letterman's jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous do you actually own a jacket from Jacket Shop? I've been milling around the idea of ordering one from there for a while but was unsure of the quality of construction, leather/wool and fit...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, well that's embarrassing. I guess I just was never familiar with the term faux letter so my instincts told me to read it as 'leather'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oy, definitely real leather. Haha, I work at the store on Bleecker and have tried the jacket on too many times. The plaid lining on the inside is DOPEE. Also, the jacket is finally on SALE. I'm not sure if I'll get in trouble for this, but we're knocking 30% off most FALL items, including the varsity jacket.

    One other thing though, the burgundy fabric is only a basic wool fabric, and unfortunately is not made in a herringbone weave.

    http://denimaniac.com/2010/05/09/gant-rugger-fallwinter-2010/

    Aaright, hope to see you guys around! PEACE, LOVE and GRUB!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe the jacket in question(in the original post) is referring to the 2011 jacket, for F/W NEXT YEAR, not the current version, which would explain why there isn't a herringbone weave.

    ReplyDelete