Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Few F/W eBay Tips

I don't consider myself an eBay aficionado by any stretch of the imagination.  Some guys just posses a knack for auction wizardry and I am not one of them.  However, I have been buying gear on eBay for a long time so there are a few truths I hold to be self evident.  I'd like to share a few of those with you today.  I'm not going to waste your time talking about sniping services or how to properly low ball sellers.  Instead I'd like to quickly do my best to point you in the right direction of a few F/W staples that are always better on eBay.  What do I mean by better you ask?  In this case, better means cheaper.

Let's start with L.L. Bean boots as they are my favorite thing ever in the history of the world.  When I want a new pair I head straight to eBay.  For starters, there are more Bean boots than you can shake a stick at living on The Bay.  If you are unfamiliar with Bean boots let me tell you right off the bat that the sizing on these babies are very peculiar.  They can often run up to a size and a half too big (depending on your feet of course) and are very wide.  What does this mean for you?  Well, lots of people have bought Bean boots over the years that straight up do not fit.  They also don't take advantage of L.L. Bean's best in class customer service and instead of exchanging them put them up on eBay.  Their loss is your gain.  You can easily find a fresh new pair of Bean boots (in many different styles, both new and vintage) for less than half price.  And if you don't have a problem wearing someone else's used boots (I mean, you're gonna be wearing socks anyway, right?) you can easily grab a pair for like $30 or less.

Shipping costs aside, eBay UK is also a great resource, especially when looking for one of Barbour's many classic styles.  Barbour is practically a lifestyle across the pond, which means a lot of guys are constantly unloading their old jackets.  I know most of you guys probably want to break in your own jacket, but I also realize most of you don't have upwards of 400 bones to drop on a brand new joint.  For all I know your entire clothing budget for F/W is around that much.  I've seen used Barbour's sell in the $30-$180 range depending on the wear/tear and the popularity of the model (i.e. A Beaufort will run you more than a Border).  If you can find a Barbour being hawked by an independent seller (aka some random dude in Northampton), as oppose to a vintage "shop" on eBay, you can easily save around $300 plus dollars.  Buy some wax, put a little effort in on a Sunday afternoon and you've got a great classic jacket for fall.  Happy hunting.


-L.A.S

13 comments:

  1. & sweaters. Don't forget sweaters. Shouldn't matter that they smell like Parliaments and mothballs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw a pair of AE Moras size 9 on ebay.uk

    The guy even referenced this blog

    Somebody better get on that shit before it ends:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260671094754&Category=63850&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

    Wish I had smaller feet......

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. ebay and goodwill have been my resources for this fall. if it don't fit, it's a trip to the tailor's. saving an assload of much needed cash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word. Hit up your local thrift shop. Scooped up an LL Bean Norweigan Sweater for $8.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buying shoes on eBay is the way to go, especially if you've got a good shoe store locally where you can try a pair on to ensure you get the right size. There are a ton of Allen Edmonds employees who buy shoes at the sample sale using their employee discount and then turn around and unload them for 50% off retail. I picked up a pair of walnut Bel Airs this summer for $70, untouched. Exceptional shoe. But, as always, be absolutely certain of your size before buying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right about Bean boots being a size or so too big, which is a bugger if you're trying to return them from the UK and recover VAT and import duty...

    Fatfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, do you think mink oil would work as a wax on a Barbour jacket?

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats a great post, thank you for sharing all that!!
    I just checked out the bay for some ll beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Total compliance here. I scoured the Bay for abotu 2 weeks looking for some AE Wingtips. Got the McAlisters for about $45+Shipping. Looked like they've been worn a couple dozen times. YEARS left on them! I find a lot of the time, if you search vague descriptions like "Wingtips" people will drop really nice stuff with a poor description, and you win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speaking of Barbour, there are a couple on sale at the downtown Chicago Orvis store for about 50% off. I think they have a Harrington and a Bedale, both brand new. I just snapped one up, myself. Of course, buying a brand new item in a brick and mortar store is just about the opposite of using eBay, but a deal's a deal, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tip. Grabbed a pair of boots like the ones pictured for 45 bucks. Not 30 but definitely a shade off the new price.

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/yorkshirecountryman/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/quality4less_uk/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

    Best Barbour resources on Ebay UK

    ReplyDelete
  13. ily LAS. You read my mind. The rain caught me off guard yesterday and I thought to myself that I needed some bean boots and a Barbour jacket. Haha!

    ReplyDelete