Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Attn: Eastland Made In Maine Collection Now Available

When I first came across Eastland's Made In Maine Collection at capsule (NY) I was blown away.  The market may be oversaturated with high end mocs and boots already, but Eastland obviously doesn't care.  They are taking things back to Maine and have produced one hell of a collection.  These are shoes that need some hands on love to be fully appreciated - we're talking leather so oily you could make a goddamn salad dressing.  I'll put my own personal opinions on Opening Ceremony aside for now because they are the first retail spot to carry the collection.  If you're looking for that one big footwear purchase for F/W 2010 you should have no issues finding it here.  I've been wearing Eastland shoes for a very long time and it's great to see them take things to the next level and finally put some stock into their heritage.  When an American brand realizes that there is a niche market begging for this kinda stuff everybody, especially the consumer, wins.  Look for the collection to also show up in store at Save Khaki in NY and online at Eastland's webstore among other places.


-L.A.S

9 comments:

  1. very nice to see Eastland stepping up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense, but Quoddy makes a much better footwear. Also, they are really at the heart of American Heritage. I mean go there and see for yourself. I have, but, that is only because I vacation in Maine. So, if you are going to talk about American Heritage, please make sure you know what you are talking about. I know it is difficult because you are in North Carolina, and the only heritage from that state is Slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a pair of Quoddy bluchers once, they sucked. Having seen and felt these in person, they're a little more my cup of tea, just wish they were cheaper. Oak Street's still got my bid for best value mocs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anon: Of course! I was sure that was you and your sugar daddy walking down the beach with your hands in one another's back pockets when I passed through Ogunquit a couple of months back. Nice jorts by the way. Guess brand, I presume. Sorry I didn't stop and say "hi."

    ReplyDelete
  5. These have some kind of welt, whereas Quoddy uses a pure moccasin construction. Perhaps that explains the slightly higher price point. Anyone have more details on construction of these?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pricing is ridiculous. I'm all for made in America stuff, but this is obviously aiming for the trendy end of the market.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure it's a littleway stitch, same thing that quoddy uses to attach their soles. However, like Tuce said, I think their stitching a welt on first (or a full leather base), then attaching the sole to that. More durable and probably more costly and it definitely gives more sole options -- but certainly less traditional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look of mocs & bluchers — I know they look best without socks. But if I had to wear socks (which I do), what would work best?

    ReplyDelete