Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oversized Buzz

It's readily available. Finally. Now I can stop talking about Timex's new oversized Camper.  Since it graced the pages of GQ a few months back it seemed like this was the only watch people in the blogosphere wanted to talk about - I will take some of the blame on this one.  And you know what? I get the commotion.  The original Camper was a great looking field watch that was cheap as hell.  You could even jazz it up with whatever Nato style strap you wanted.  The only issue, if there was one, was that it was really small - definitely too small for anyone looking for a watch with a little heft.  I tried the new oversized Camper on last weekend and I was underwhelmed.  The new 42mm face is a nice size and the band is now 20mm wide, which is preferable to the original's 18mm.  I can dig it for the most part, but wasn't compelled to drop a Ulysses on it.  I guess I bought into the buzz myself and raised the bar a little too high.  At the end of the day the oversized Camper is a classic field watch on steroids.  Nothing less, nothing more.  Take that for what it's worth.  Maybe it's exactly what you're in the market for.  Will the buzz die down?  I guess that depends on how well these sell.


-L.A.S

11 comments:

  1. Not sure that making it oversized was a great idea when it looks like the $10 plastic watch that every military surplus shop sells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the o.g. camper is the perfect size. I like old school sizing. I wish there were more inexpensive smaller sizes for men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Sears is stocking these bad boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you can win one for free at www.msandco.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this tick as loudly as the regular camper?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the phone booth, it's the one across the hall
    If you don't answer, I'll just ring it off the wall
    I know he's there, but I just had to call
    Don't leave me hanging on the telephone
    Don't leave me hanging on the telephone
    I heard your mother now she's going out the door
    Did she go to work or just go to the store
    All those things she said, I told you to ignore
    Oh why can't we talk again
    Oh why can't we talk again
    Oh why can't we talk again
    Don't leave me hanging on the telephone
    Don't leave me hanging on the telephone

    It's good to hear your voice, you know it's been so long
    If I don't get your call then everything goes wrong
    I want to tell you something you've known all along
    Don't leave me hanging on the telephone

    I had to interrupt and stop this conversation
    Your voice across the line gives me a strange sensation
    I'd like to talk when I can show you my affection
    Oh I can't control myself
    Oh I can't control myself
    Oh I can't control myself
    Don't leave me hanging on the telephone

    Hang up and run to me
    Whoah, hang up and run to me
    Whoah, hang up and run to me
    Whoah, hang up and run to me
    Whoah oh oh oh run to me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have looked all over this summer for these watches. Even called Timex...they said the Oversized Camper is only in limited run to specific stores in certain parts of the US. Nowhere to be found in the surrounding Philly area...

    ReplyDelete
  8. An oversized watch may not appeal to much customers. A timepiece that usually people prefer is the one with a classic design and dial. There are many classic styled watches available out there. Some retail stores can sell audemars piguet and other watch models at quite cheap prices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you prefer to wear formal dresses mostly, then classic styled watches are the best choice for you . If you indulge in sports activity mostly then buying a sports watch is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete