Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Bean Boot Project: Wingtip Guest Post

Reader Daniel Small, who runs the newly formed blog Wingtip, was kind enough to send in a guest post that does a wonderful job expanding on the multi-generational appeal and lifelong quality of the L.L. Bean boot.

"My dad has been wearing Bean boots for at least as long as I've been alive.  The same pair.  Worn-in, broken-down, mud-encrusted.  The leather has wrinkled and aged.  The heel logo has long since worn off.  Even the laces have split dramatically.

If I had to guess, I'd say I've given them more thought than he has.  To him, they are just boots.  He puts them on when it's wet.  He put's them on when it's cold, when it's muddy, or when it snows (conditions which, for anyone not familiar with Buffalo NY, reflect about 8 months of the year!)  But they are his boots.  The wear and tear reflect his labors.  They're the first and only shoes he puts on before he steps outdoors.

My mom, a loyal patron of the L.L. Bean catalog, bought him a fresh pair of identical boots a few years ago.  This pair rests untouched and pristine in the back of the closet.

Naturally, I've grown to admire the Bean boot.  It has been, after all, a consistent component of the man I look up to the most.  And while I may not be following my father's academic and professional footsteps, you can bet I'll be wearing the same shoes."


"My dad's pair."



"Broken-in and battered."



"Like father, like son."

[Note: Head here for the project's backstory. Also, If you are reading this and I requested a submission from you or if you would just like to participate please feel free to submit (contact via email). Your participation, as always, is still much anticipated and appreciated.] 

-L.A.S

4 comments:

  1. I love the fact that the new boots are resting untouched and pristine in the back of the closet. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to LAS, and Skip. Great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great entry, and a great new blog daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to the best flight ticket for all airlines then go at 800customernumber. You can easily book ticket On low prices with 40% Off, Because we are providing best service in US country. Contact us Our Phone Number +1-(855) 915-0329

    Cityjet Contact
    Cityjet contact Number UK
    Cityjet Email Contact
    Cityjet Head Office
    Customer Citilink
    Contact Citilink
    Citilink Phone Number
    Citilink Net

    ReplyDelete