Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The "New" Norwegian

By this point everyone knows that L.L. Bean's iconic Norwegian is back and, yes, knit in Norway out of 100% wool.  Some of you might even know that L.L. Bean recently introduced a new quarter zip version to add to the knit's already illustrious legacy.  So what's the new news, you ask?  Well, I had no idea that L.L. Bean had just released their newest incarnation - the Norwegian stripe.  I can't say for sure if this is a wholly new style or based on something from the archives, but I sure as hell have never seen it before (update: archive).  It's virtually exactly the same as the original, but now comes with striped ribbing around the neck, wrists and waist.  As of now only a natural and charcoal colorway is available, but if sales are good I can definitely see L.L. Bean introducing some others (I'm on team navy and mountain red).  The pricepoint on the Norwegian stripe is the same as the original ($129), but, since it is much less likely to be seen around town, a much better bang for you buck.


[Editor's note: I had these last two images saved in an image folder on my computer so my apologies if they are in fact yours and I stole them from you.]

-L.A.S

15 comments:

  1. I have an identical Bean Norwegian from the early 80s. Crossing my fingers that this link works...

    Norwegians

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like this might be something from the archives... here's a "vintage" one on the Bay.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/L-L-BEAN-WHITE-GRAY-NORWAY-NORWEGIAN-SWEATER-MED-M-/170562119671?pt=US_CSA_MC_Sweaters&hash=item27b64b67f7

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's archived. Case closed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Paul said - it's from their archives (and one of my favorites): http://redclaysoul.blogspot.com/2010/03/ll-bean-heres-to-making-old-new-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My biggest question on both the new and old Norwegian sweaters is the fit. Since this isn't from the Signature line. what can we expect?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fit of those sweaters was horrible back when they were new. Absolutely square cut, set-in sleeves, rough wool, bottom ribbing that stretched out. Just so you all know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon @ 4:17 - The fit is still horrible on ALL L.L. Bean sweaters. Unless you're a fat ass American, these probably won't fit you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon@4:21. The fit isn't horrible, the fit is what it's supposed to be. These are sweaters for men to fish and chop wood in; they're not designed for menswear blog weenies who would take a pair of boxers shorts to a tailor to have them tapered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon @ 7:01 - That's actually not a bad idea. Thanks, man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have one of those, also early 80s I think. It fits me while the navy ones simply don't. Why this is I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Heritage" clothing is getting out of hand when we start referring to the "illustrous legacy" of sweaters.

    On a related topic, check out the latest Urban Outfitters catalog--lots of kids wearing fair isle etc. They look like they aren't sure if it's supposed to be ironic or not. Also, they look like they raided the Salvation Army.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Urban Outfitters core audience is primarily transvestites, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Size down and hope it isn't too short.

    Count me in with the navy and red.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went to the LL Bean Store because I was suspect of the fit and I hate dealing with mailing stuff back. The fit is by no means trim. I am 6'2 and 160 lbs and wear a medium usually. Their medium was way too big. Even the small wasn't exactly slim. It definitely fits bigger than J. Crew (their mediums are also too boxy on me), and the small is gonna be too short if you're over 6 ft. Just thought people would wanna know since I had been wondering as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WE HAVE A WINNER:"menswear blog weenies who would take a pair of boxers shorts to a tailor to have them tapered."

    ReplyDelete