Tuesday, November 9, 2010

F/W Gingham

Gingham is pretty proven as far as patterns go, but lots of guys usually reserve it for S/S - that probably has something to do with conjured images of picnic cloths.  Personally, I think gingham works well in F/W as long as the color is right.  By keeping the color dark you can add some visually appealing depth to your standard seasonal kit.  Sticking with colors such as black, burgundy, and hunter green won't make you look like you're trying too hard and you'll stand out from the oxford and tattersall wearing crowd.  Brooks Brothers has a bunch of F/W ginghams up now in their extra slim fit cotton broadcloth (single-needle tailoring) dress shirt style.  I like BB's English collar and, while not as perfect as the cutaway, is a nice change of pace from all the button downs that probably dominate you closet.  While this is a "dress shirt", I think it can be best utilized in more casual settings, with the collar and pattern combination adding a real punch to your F/W neutrals.


-L.A.S

7 comments:

  1. This shirt isn't really for the "casual" set, my friend. English collars should ALWAYS be knotted up with a tie. Whether or not you choose to pair it with jeans or a suit, the shirt alone is not casual.

    Side note: Must BB stores have all ready sold out of most the sizes of these. I spoke with a kind gentleman there last week, who informed me that BB will not be receiving further stock on these, and that this style will not be available in the future. I'd advise calling your local BB store, or ordering online to avoid disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The burgundy one is f'ugly in person--looks like a picnic tablecloth. I'd stick with the navy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vik- When did I ever say going casual meant no tie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I jumped to the conclusion when you said "While this is a "dress shirt", I think it can be best utilized in more casual settings" that you meant no tie. I assumed based on your tone that it was implied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's unfortunate that BB doesn't have European retailers...the shipping costs alone would leave me broke. nonetheless I'd love to get my hands on some of their pieces..

    ReplyDelete
  6. L.A.S.- No response? Vik got you there. Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon @1:41- Vik admitting he jumped to conclusions (I assume he wasn't being sarcastic) and an obvious miscommunication doesn't really require a retort.

    Now, your comment on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete